A Modest Proposal — Loop The T-Third
Hey, look, a TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine) — one like this will soon be digging the Central Subway under our fair city:
And here it is in action:
My biggest issue with the Central Subway? That’s there’s not enough of it. Stop at Chinatown? I don’t think so. Here’s a hint on what you do if you have a Tunnel Boring Machine:
DON’T EVER TURN OFF YOUR TUNNEL BORING MACHINE
You’d think this would be obvious, but Carter Rohan, the SFMTA’s former deputy executive director, apparently thought otherwise:
Although Schall offered that San Francisco could keep the new boring machines after the project was finished — for a price — Rohan laughed and said that the city wouldn’t be taking that option.
So sad he resigned a few months after his shortsighted chortle.
Unless we see a change in the SFMTA’s attitude, we are left with no choice but to hijack the tunnel boring machine as it exits its tunnel at Columbus and Union and continue boring tunnels. Don’t tell Muni, but here’s the plan:
- We keep going on Columbus and head west on Chestnut.
- Hang a left on Divisadero with appropriate stations along the way (I was thinking about going down Fillmore, but I go to the Independent way more often these days).
- Continue tunnelling under Divis and meet up with the station at Castro
- Head southeast, with stations at Noe (24th & Church), La Lengua (Mission & Valencia), and Bernal (on Cortland, a Forest Hills type station which would obviously hook up with a future Van Ness subway)
- Emerge at the Alemany Farmer’s Market (might as well make a station there on weekends) and continue to close the T-Third loop at Palou or some other suitable station (ideally which becomes a Caltrain stop)
- Continue on to Hunters Point as that area is developed
(Base map via Stamen.)
Who’s with me? (And when we’re done, how about we run another tunnel down Geary, obviously — then we’d head down from the Richmond to the Sunset, and then cut over through Sunnyside / Mission Terrace / Crocker-Amazon / Excelsior and then meet up with that Van Ness line back under Bernal/Cortland.)
We’ll obviously have to do this in shifts. Anyone have extra hardhats and reflective vests?