Skip to content

Marcha De Las Letras – The Other 24th Street

April 2, 2009
tags: ,

I’d like to buy a vowel:

taqueria vallarta

(Perhaps a perverse multi-array version of hangman? Or a horribly flawed implementation of a postscript stack. I do love the “TV” in the rounded rectangle at the top.)

Current Senate seating chart. Democrats on the left, Republicans on the right.

Snow and Specter look longingly to the center.

Señor Burbujas!

burbujas zoom

His maquinas are grandes. (Get a taco suave across the street while you wait.)

Senor Burbujas

10 Comments leave one →
  1. subby permalink
    April 3, 2009 9:56 am

Ahhhh, just some of the reasons I love 24th so very very much.

My personal favorite is RR/IA TA. I say with a rolling, Ricardo Montelban voice, and it makes the think of the French Riviera, but with tacos.

2. April 3, 2009 10:37 am

Man you are right in my hood – the Corazon. St. Peter’s Church/School is across the street from Mr. Burburas. Vallarta makes a great caldo de pollo too, perfect on cold nights. And La Palma? The place has been a fixture in my family for generations. Every Sunday, after church,we would pick some carnitas,handmade tortillas and queso fresco. They make a kick-ass chorizo there too – tasty and not as greasy. I think my family knew the owners from way back. You missed La Victoria and Dominguez Bakery – two more old staples that go way back.

3. April 3, 2009 12:02 pm

If you rearrange las letras, you can almost spell arriba!

This sign fascinates me. “Boss, we can only make the sign seven letters high.”

4. natomahead permalink
    April 3, 2009 2:15 pm

ah, um, so where’s exactly is the ‘other’ 24th street to ‘this’ 24th street?

5. April 3, 2009 2:34 pm

The part that still calls Cesar Chavez Army, and doesn’t have a grocery store for now.

6. April 3, 2009 10:34 pm

I always wonder why “Mr. Bubbles” translates to “Mr. Burbujas” instead of “Senor Burbujas”….

7. April 9, 2009 2:56 pm

And *I* always wonder: If they had to double up on letters, why not “LL” (which is one letter in spanish, anyway)?

8. agent_torpor permalink
    April 23, 2009 2:50 pm

I hope he eats the pants of the gentrifiers. Mr. Burbuja, hero of the peoples.

9. agent_torpor permalink
    April 23, 2009 2:51 pm

And that taqueria with the oddly-doubled up sign used to be called El Castillejo (or something to that effect)

1. Alternate Mission « Burrito Justice